There's no better way to spend the day with your kiddos, than by escaping the city for a few hours to become one with nature! The 30-minute drive to Drumlin Farm in Lincoln is absolutely stunning. Instead of your typical view of taxi cabs and sky-high buildings, you'll see green rolling hills and smell the fresh summer air. Pack a lunch for a picnic and make sure to bring along a basket so you can load up on fresh produce from the farm!
Sheep, goats, pigs, horses, cows, and chickens ... no shortage of livestock here! Your little ones will shriek with delight when they walk through the chicken coop and hear all of the racket! (London was a professional "bawker" by the end of the tour!) The sheep were munching on hay in the barn, and a few pressed up against the fence close enough for little fingers to feel the thick fleece. Make sure to take a stroll through the largest barn on the farm, which is home to the cows, horses and ponies. Here, kids can pretend to milk a cow, brush a pony's tail and play in the "horse around" room. (Helpful tip: There are bathrooms located in this barn as well!)
I'm not sure who was more excited for the hayride ... myself or my daughter, but either way - we had a blast! London was mesmerized by the giant tractor wheels and the booming sound of the engine. The hayrides start at the main entrance (the Red Barn) and travel around the farmyard. The price is just $2/adult and $1/child (cash only).
Farmstand + Learning Garden
The farm offers fresh produce for purchase, which I thought was such a treat! My daughter was really into the bright, colorful vegetables and of course wanted to touch and taste test everything she saw! You can score some farm fresh eggs, maple syrup, goats milk soap and even yarn or fleece as well! The Learning Garden is a really neat opportunity for your kids to get their hands dirty! It was so fun to show Lo where everything grows and let her smell the oregano, mint, basil and more!
Tips to Make Your Trip Easier:
- Visit on a weekday, if possible ... just don't forget - the farm is CLOSED on Mondays!
- Drumlin Farm provides complimentary strollers for your little ones! Talk about a sweet deal!
- Bring cash for the hayride, which is an additional cost ($2 adult / $1 child)
- Pack a lunch and/or snacks to enjoy a picnic
- There are 3 restrooms located around the farm at the Red Barn, the Picnic Area, and the Nature Center
- Bring a change of clothes for the kiddos. They'll be "one with nature" so bring something fresh for the drive home, just in case :)
- It's that time of year for TICKS. Make sure you check your little one over when you get home!
Location: 208 South Great Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
Hours: November - February / Tues-Sun & Mon holidays, 9am - 4pm // March - October / Tues-Sun & Mon holidays, 9am - 5pm
Admission: Non-members: $9 Adults / $6 Children (2-12) / $6 Seniors (65+)