Holiday parties, hot chocolate, sugary treats, and COLD WEATHER; four things that can derail your diet and desire to hit the gym! Many people (including myself) find that during the holiday season, it's difficult to maintain a solid routine. One little tip to remember is: a short workout is better than no workout at all, so do SOMETHING even if it's just a 10-15 minute cardio burst! The new year is just around the corner, so don't wait until January 1st like all those "resolution" people - get into the habit NOW and make exercise part of your daily routine. Trust me, it will be much easier to fend off the dreaded holiday bulge!
Here are 5 ways you can stay in shape this holiday season...
1. Invest in resistance bands/tubes. Don't let travel be your excuse for lagging behind on your workouts. Resistance bands are easy to pack and won't take up much space in your suitcase. There's so much you can do with them, from bicep curls to lunges, you can get a full body workout.
2. Tight on time? Try a circuit workout or intense cardio burst. Customize your own workout; choose 6 exercises to rotate through and push yourself to the max! Tabata is a really intense workout consisting of short cardio bursts and would be a great option if you've only got 20-30 minutes. You can find the Tabata workout that I posted here.
3. Sign up for a class at your gym + schedule out 4 weeks. Committing to the same class once a week will give you consistency and an attainable short term goal. Also, if you sign up in advance, you're more likely to attend! For example, my gym offers a Barre class every Monday afternoon - so I would sign up for this coming week and every Monday through the first week of December. It's a simple way to hold yourself accountable!
4. Hire a personal trainer. Maybe you know yourself reallll well and know that you'll need some extra motivation during these holiday months ... hire a personal trainer or find one at your gym! Thankfully, my gym has a bunch of awesome personal trainers and I always see them fully engaged with their clients. It would be a great way to stay on track and get that extra "boost" this season!
5. No gym? No problem. Whether you're on the road visiting relatives or at home but can't make the gym, this interval workout can be done right in your living room! Do each exercise for 60 seconds, moving from one to the next without resting. Once you have completed all exercises once, take a 90-second rest. Repeat for a total of 3 times through. *Finish with two 60-second plank holds*
- Jumping Jacks
- Squat Jumps
- Mountain Climbers
I hope everyone has a great weekend!